Your wedding day is one of the biggest occasions in your life. The aftermath can become a bit of a happy blur, and it’s easy to forget about some essentials. You might have planned your honeymoon months in advance, but you’ll have to leave packing until just before you leave. You’ll be preoccupied with other wedding preparations before.
To make sure you don’t forget something in your post-wedding bliss, we’ve compiled a list of seven honeymoon packing essentials. Check them out:
1. Remember the must-haves
Some things you simply can’t go on honeymoon without – in some cases, because you’re not allowed to travel. According to The Knot, must-haves for travel abroad include:
• Airline tickets (printed or on your phone) or e-ticket confirmations
• Passport, visas, driver’s license
• Credit cards (take only those you’ll need)
• Any reservation confirmations (like hotels, restaurants and events) not available electronically
• Two sets of photocopies of all of the above, plus a photocopy of related medical and/or trip insurance coverage and prescriptions (carry one set with you, leave one in the hotel room)
• Phone numbers for your doctor, house or pet sitter and credit card companies (in case your cards are lost or stolen)
• Prescription medicine (in the original bottle)
• Birth control and condoms
• ID tags for luggage (inside and out)
2. Your smartphone
Your smartphone does pretty much everything. As the Secret Traveller says, “it’s your torch. It’s your map. It’s your guidebook. It’s your camera. It’s your iPod. It’s your access to reviews and travel tips. It’s your connection to family and friends.” Packing your phone is extremely helpful in several occasions, just remember to get yourself a portable charger. The last thing you want is for your battery to die mid-use.
3. First aid kit
You don’t want minor illnesses or injury to ruin your honeymoon – so it’s worth packing a small first aid kit with things like plasters, pain killers, aloe vera for sunburn, antihistamine, some Pepto-Bismal and motion sickness medicine. Research where the local pharmacy is too for any emergency purchases.
4. Flip flops
Flip flops are the ultimate holiday shoe. You can throw them on to walk to the pool or spa facilities, or use them to walk into the local town. They’re useful in every occasion.
5. Travel converter
If you’re honeymooning abroad, make sure you pack a universal travel adapter to use any of your gadgets.
Most people choose to go on honeymoon somewhere hot – indeed, most of the popular honeymoon destinations are by the beach. The last thing you want is to forget swimwear and spend your first day trying to find something half-decent in the local stores. After all, it’s not just your wedding photos you’ll be looking at for years to come – you also want to look great in those honeymoon shots.
7. An evening outfit your partner hasn’t seen before
Save a special outfit for a romantic evening. Choose something your other half hasn’t seen before and they’ll appreciate the effort. Just make sure you don’t wear new shoes – that’s an ultimate don’t for honeymoon packing, as shoes that aren’t broken in will probably cause you blisters.
What did you pack for your honeymoon? Share your experiences with us.